So the caucus is always fun, especially when they do the part which I fondly call "air your grievances" which is basically when, we the people, get to bring up issues that they are concerned about. Most people bring up valid concerns, some bring up idiotic things, and then there's me and my mom that make up new lines for famous speeches about how long this portion is (okay, we only did that twice but we had been sitting there for an hour. One of them started out like this: "Four Score and Seven Years Ago, this meeting began..."--we got the giggles bad with that one).
Well this was my year. My big moment! My moment to shine. My mommy nominated me and then I had 30 seconds to explain to the 207 people in the room why I should be selected to be one of the 6 delegates from 12 nominees. Well, not only was I the youngest person nominated, I was also the very last person who got to speak. My parents were highly amused by this...evident by their snickering as I waited in line.
I won't bore you with what I said (something along the lines that I was the youngest candidate but cared deeply about this country, I taught history, and believed we needed to protect the ideals that this country was founded on) and then it was time to take a vote. I still don't know the results because the chair was going to count the ballots and then send out an email announcing the winners. While it would be an awesome experience to be a delegate, I am just glad that I got a chance to participate.
Plus, there is always next year...
Update: I never heard back from our district leader (email us the results my foot! see if I ever vote for him again). But it was still a great experience and I enjoyed it. Next time I'll run a campaign.

No comments:
Post a Comment