Menu

  • Follow my Adventures in DC at http://lemleykdchron.blogspot.com/

Thursday, March 22, 2012

I'm going to be a Commie!!!!

Yes, comrade, it is true...I got the position I wanted at camp this summer! Yay!!!! The full name is Commissioner, which is the person that oversees all the different BSA troops that are at camp and make sure that everything is running smoothly. It will be a huge change because for the past three years that I worked at camp, I was solely in business staff, which meant my interactions with camp attendees was limited to when they walked into the trading post.

But commissioners are called Commies and I am so very excited. I really love working at camp and have been wanting to try this position for a few years now.


Isn't it pretty? I love the weather at camp. 



I love the lake...and any invading cattle that we have to chase out of camp (happens more often then I'd like).


This is "Super Scout" and his sidekick, "Venturing Scout" (yes that's me rowing. As sidekick I always got stuck with the grunt work). I created these two characters as a marketing gimmick and they survived for a good three years. We would do "episodes" at scoutmaster meetings to push products. They were pretty creative, if I do say so myself, and they worked. I'll have to write about them sometime.


Ah. Good memories. The kid on the left is one of my staff members. The guy in the middle and right is super scout (this was a fun picture to do...gotta love the panoramic setting on my camera). And the room is the trading post, a building that I spent three summers in. 


This is how we would nap, my staff and I. Under the counters. It was easy because we could take a 20 minute break and still be close enough to hear whats going on and "pop out" if we were needed. I scared many a scout and scoutmaster as I would pop up from under the counter.




This is the staff having a "meeting". We do a staff chase every week (which is like a giant game of tag for the scouts). And so we try to come up with creative methods to not get caught right away. The scouts get points for however many staff members they catch. My favorite was when I hid a walkie-talkie in some bushes and then hid about 30 feet away. I would talk and taunt the scouts through the walkie-talkie. It was absolutely hysterical watching them try to find me (they eventually did, FYI).

Super Scouts Team: The Ultimate Scouting Force. Also, working at camp is an awesome weight loss plan. Look how skinny I is in that picture (blurry as it may be). So that is the one selfish reason for working at camp this summer: weight loss (and I earn it too! Dang mountain).


Poor Walt. This is one thing that I will never miss about the trading post. Dealing with the rodents. Because I had a twisted sense of humor, I named them all after Disney people. This is Walt. The poisoning got him. Mortimer and Roy managed to escape with their lives. 

So yep. that's a very quick rundown of some things I love about camp. Expect more pictures during the summer months because that is where I will be and it's going to be awesome! Also, if you ever want to come and visit me on a friday (visitors day) just let me know :) ...It helps me feel loved.


No comments:

Post a Comment