Menu

  • Follow my Adventures in DC at http://lemleykdchron.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Things I have Learned as a Substitute Teacher

1. There is always at least one student in every elementary school class who acts as if their world has been shattered when a substitute doesn't do everything exactly like the regular teacher.

2. Four square is weird. Period.

3. PE teachers leave the worse lesson plans.

4. In high school, a substitute equals book work or a movie. If it's the first, you are loathed and seen as evil. If it's the second, you are seen as a heavenly deliverer...until they find out they have to take notes.

5. There should be room moms in all grades--it would eradicate 90% of behavior problems.

6. Cafeteria food isn't too bad...Ketchup fixes everything.

7. Always have a whistle. You never know when they might stick you on recess duty (a lesson I learned too late).

8. Secretaries either treat you as perfectly capable or as completely incompetent.

9. Sending a student to the office rarely fixes a problem because they always send the kid back (figure that one out).

10. Variations of my name have included: Ms. Louis, Ms. Lemon, Ms. Elle, Ms. Lowly, and Ms. Lonely (I went home and cried after that one).

11. 6th graders think they rule the world--heh heh...just wait six months into jr. high, we will see how you feel then.

12. Special Ed classes are my favorite to sub for.

13. Most students are surprised to find out that I am a "real" teacher.

14. Driving over 40 minutes in a snowstorm to a job = NOT WORTH IT.

15. Kindergartners will befriend you at the drop of a hat.

16. Substitute teaching does not equal brain stimulation - 80% of the time you are watching the students do book work anyway.

17. Half the time, teachers do not leave enough work for the students to do. It's on those days I can feel my hair turning gray.

18. Never sub for a foreign language class unless you speak the language--sorry spanish class, I tried.

19. I love watching the teenage boys try to act tougher than they really are...especially the ultra-white Utah boys who act all "gangsta-and-I'm-from-the-ghetto"...It is really amusing.

20. 90% of misbehavior is a result of boredom, which I totally understand. If I had to sit through some of the lessons that I have been left to "teach", I would be misbehaving too.

No comments:

Post a Comment