Failure.
I feel like it's stamped on my forehead for everyone to see.
I received some news yesterday. From a newsletter.
This is my third "hiring season" as a teacher. The first two were extremely rough. Nothing developed from either and by the time the second one was over, I was tired of the field of education. I still loved teaching but I hated the politics.
Then I got my current job. And I loved it.
Two months ago, I found out they were hiring in my field. I was told by several higher-ups to apply. I felt that it was the right thing...the right place to be...the right timing. I applied and then waited patiently for my turn to be interviewed. I was told that they would happen towards the end of the school year. I was not concerned because I felt so good about it. Others on staff assured me that I was a shoo-in, at least guaranteed an interview.
Yesterday I was in the copy room, running an errand for a teacher. As I walked by the wall, I glanced at the weekly newletter written by the administration. One line stood out...screaming at me. It stated: We are done hiring and placements will be announced this week for the next school year.
I was frozen.
I could see my future...my dream...my career crumbling and blowing away all in a few seconds.
Needless to say, I am crushed.
I hurt.
This is the third year this has happened to me. The constant rejection chisles away at my confidence.
I feel deflated.
People will tell me "not to give up" and "there's gotta be something out there".
I know.
But that doesn't lessen the hurt. The sense of failure. When I look at my graduating class, they all either have teaching jobs or a spouse who supports them while they pursue other interests.
Then there's me.
What am I doing wrong? Why is it everytime I feel so sure, so confident, that THIS is going to be the school, THIS is going to be the job, I end up flat on my back, having no idea what just slammed into me and knocked me down.
I think my compass is broken. I have no idea where I am supposed to be or what I'm supposed to be doing.
No comments:
Post a Comment