You know how you will always have those terrifying fantasies about speaking in public and something goes horribly wrong, like you forget to get dressed or forget that you were supposed to speak, etc. Well, last sunday I got to experience one of those fantasies when I got a call at 9:30 saturday night asking if I would speak in church the next morning. Preparing the talk wasn't a problem and I had it done by 10:40 that night. However, the next morning I woke up not feeling so great. I thought it was nerves because I do get nervous before I have to speak publicly. So I went to church and went to the front of the room, sat down so everyone could see me, and then realized something was horribly wrong. I had remembered to get dressed, I had my talk and scriptures in hand, but apparently I forgot my stomach that morning.
Yes, I had the stomach flu and was expected to speak for 10-15 minutes. There were three speakers and so I thought my chances of going first were pretty good. In fact, as the bishop got up to announce the order, I wanted to whisper "let me go first!" but i didn't...and so I went last.
As the first speaker got up, I thought "Ok, I can do this, I can make it through to my turn..." over and over again. 5 minutes into first talk I had to leave the room and didn't come back until the second speaker had been talking for 5 minutes. I was feeling pretty crummy and by the time it was my turn, I honestly have no idea what I said or if it even made sense. I just read what was written on the paper in front of me and hoped that I was coherent. As soon as the meeting was over, I rushed home and spent the next two days worshipping the procelain king and becoming reaquinted with my mattress. I am just grateful that my stomach kept it together until after the meeting was over. So next time you feel nervous about speaking publicly, just remember, it could be so much worse.
No comments:
Post a Comment