Growing up, every time my family travelled to and from California, we would drive pass this ghost town nestled in the mountains. You can’t see it from the freeway, but what you can see, is the giant Hollywood-esque “Calico” sign on the mountains, undoubtedly the creation of some schmuck in the California bureau of tourism. However, this last time I went past Calico, I began to wonder who had possible created the sign. I knew that Calico was a mining town before it was demoted to ghost town. So I commented to my family that maybe perhaps the town would have been more successful and actually survive if they, the inhabitants of Calico, had spent more time trying to get people to come to their town, or heaven forbid, mine some more instead of building a giant sign across the mountains. I mean honestly, who builds a giant sign for a ghost town?! It’s like broadcasting a giant failure and asking people to come spend money to stare at a bunch of empty buildings…oh wait, that’s what most tourist attractions are…my bad. So the next time you happen to be driving through southern California and if you happen upon an abnormally large sign in the middle of a desert, think of Calico, and all that could have been.
On a completely unrelated note, I am thinking of putting a giant sign above my apartment complex that reads “Gingham”.
No comments:
Post a Comment